Communication issues are common in all relationships, and having an age difference can make it harder due to generational differences, bad habits from previous relationships, or an imbalance in power between partners.
Common Communication Issues
- Not listening to what your partner is saying
- Worrying that talking will make things worse
- Expecting your partner to know how your feel
- Not discussing your negative emotions, anger or other issues
- Trying to be win an argument rather than reaching a compromise
- Not respecting the feelings of your partner by not listening and understanding their emotions
Good Communication Tactics
Good communication skills are useful for anyone trying to improve their relationships with others (both personally and professionally as well as life overall).
When you have a difficult issue to discuss with your partner, it is important to select the right time and place to bring up the issue. Don’t bring up an issue if you are angry. Wait until you are calm and then start a conversation.
So, for example, don’t bring up a money issue when you are both in bed. Also, be a good listener during your discussion. Make eye contact and don’t try to talk over your partner. Just be quiet, pay attention and listen. Don’t think about your response until it is your turn.
If you keep up this type of problem resolution during your relationship you will be much happier by avoiding long term problems. So, always be willing to listen and discuss issues without accusations and anger.
Also, if you are in an age gap relationship, consider that there may be generational differences that can affect communication. Try to figure out what is the best way for the both of you to connect and get your messages across to the other partner.
- How We Can Communicate Better: https://www.loveisrespect.org/healthy-relationships/communicate-better/
- 10 Steps to Effective Couples Communication: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/lifetime-connections/201605/10-steps-effective-couples-communication
Listen to the podcast episode for this topic below, or check out the YouTube episode.
Subscribe:Apple Podcasts | Stitcher
Age Gap Love Story is a website, podcast, YouTube channel, and community created to support people who are in a relationship with a large age difference. Join our email list to learn more!
Leave a Reply