It can be challenging both emotionally and financially to recover from divorce. This article includes tips for getting back on your feet again, plus ways to prepare yourself for a successful second marriage.
Whether you’re in an age gap relationship or you’re thinking about one, then this information is for you. Please see the links at the end of this post for both the podcast and YouTube video related to this article.
Recovering From Divorce
Here are some practical and mental health tips for recovering from divorce. After you’ve finalized the paperwork, there are some things you will need to do to recover.
- Take time to heal and work on yourself.
- Consider therapy to figure out your issues, especially if you have a contentious divorce.
- Evaluate your finances and do any planning for your retirement and future.
- Explore your own interests.
- Make new friends who didn’t know your first partner or re-connect with old friends.
- Consider exploring new romantic relationships. Be cautious about committing too soon.
- Re-establish and confirm relationships with children, family, or friends who may have been involved in the old marriage.
Tips for a Successful Second Marriage
- Try not to bring any emotional baggage into the second marriage from the first marriage. Do the emotional work of figuring out what you need and how you can recover from any hurts from the past.
- Consider starting fresh with your belongings.
- Be very cautious about finances. Deal with it before making a marital commitment.
- Be very careful if you are going to be blending families. Consider family therapy and take things slowly. Plan for and avoid potential family conflicts.
- Work on something or grow something new with your new spouse. Especially if you don’t have children together, it’s nice to have something to build together.
- Focus on good communication, patience, forgiveness, and respect for each other, even if and when you run into difficulties. Don’t give up.
- Address problems as soon as they occur and make sure to try and work through them, even if you require counseling.
Listen to the podcast episode for this topic below, or check out the YouTube episode.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher
As always, we want to remind you that we are not offering professional advice. The content on this website is meant as purely informational. Please consult a therapist, attorney, financial advisor, or other appropriate professional to help with your individual situation.
Age Gap Love Story is a website, podcast, YouTube channel, and community created to support people who are in a relationship with a large age difference. Join our email list to learn more!
Leave a Reply